Sponsored Parent Visa (SC870)

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ's)

Q: I live in Australia. Can I sponsor my parents for 870?

A: To be eligible as a Parent Sponsor, you need to be an Australian citizen or an Australian permanent resident usually residing in Australia for at least 4 years and must meet the minimum income threshold.

Q: I do not have the required income to become a sponsor, what can I do?

A: If you can’t pass the income test yourself, you can combine your taxable income with your spouse or a sibling who is an Australian citizen, Australian permanent resident or eligible New Zealand citizen. If combining income, your taxable income must be at least 50 per cent of the taxable income amount specified to pass the income test.

Q: How long can my parents stay on this visa?

A: This is a temporary visa for up to 3 years or 5 years at a time. And the visa holder is allowed to travel to and from Australia as many times as they wish while the visa is valid.

Q: What if I want my parents to stay longer than 5 years?

A: Once 870 expires, another 870 can be applied provided the parents are outside Australia for at least 90 days before being eligible to be granted another Sponsored Parent (Temporary) visa. Sponsored Parent (Temporary) visas can be held for a cumulative maximum 10-year period.

Q: Can the parents work on this visa?

A: 870 visa holder cannot work in Australia while they hold this visa?

Follow by Email